- 4 (4-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon Italian blend seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon each - garlic powder, onion powder & salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
- 1.5 cups marinara
- 4 (1-ounce) mozzarella slices
- parsley for garnish
- oven-safe skillet
- Arrange oven shelf to the middle of the oven. Preheat broiler to medium or high heat.
- Season chicken with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in an oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken on both sides until browned and cooked through (about 7 minutes each side). Transfer to a plate; set aside.
- Turn heat to low and add the marinara to the skillet and bring to a simmer.
- Arrange the chicken in the sauce and top each breast with 1 slice of mozzarella cheese per breast.
- Transfer to the oven to broil for 2-4 minutes, or until the cheese is browned and bubbling.
- Mozzarella – I used Belgioioso pre-sliced fresh mozzarella pieces because they were on sale at Publix and because I find that the cheese melts evenly. If you need a dairy alternative try a standard parmesan or Follow Your Heart mozzarella
- Marinara – I typically buy organic and low sodium marinara like Gia Russa.
- Training Day – serve over gluten-free pasta
- Rest Day – serve over zucchini noodles
Approximately 250 calories per 4-ounce breast (cheese and sauce included)
Calories may vary depending on the brand of ingredients, substitutions and serving size.
Gluten Free, Low Carb