- *1 pound Italian sausage links, sliced into 1/2" pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- (1) 12-ounce bag of sliced carrots or "dip chip" carrots
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 1/4 cup water
- *2 tablespoons Adobo or all-purpose seasoning
- 2 tablespoons Italian blend seasoning
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- (1) 16-ounce bag fresh collard greens or kale, shredded
- *substitutions provided below
- large saucepan or Dutch oven
1. Heat a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally until browned and cooked through, about 5-7 minutes.
2. Using a slotted spoon, remove cooked sausage and allow to drain on a plate covered with paper towels. Discard drippings, but do not wash the pan.
3. In the same pan, melt avocado oil (or butter) over medium heat. Add the diced onion and carrot chips. Cook until the onion begins to brown on the edges and becomes somewhat translucent.
4. Stir the minced garlic into the onion and carrot mixture. Cook for ~one minute. Add 1/4 cup water and cook for about 1 minute. Stir in Adobo, Italian blend seasoning and red pepper flakes.
5. Pour in the chicken stock then increase the heat to medium-high. Once it comes to a simmer add the collard greens (or kale) and cooked sausage. Reduce the heat to “Simmer” and allow to cook until collards are to your liking (minimum 5-10 minutes). Carefully taste-teste with a spoonful of the broth. Season to taste.
6. Serve with your favorite toasted bread or basmati rice.
- Swap sausage for beans, lentils or chickpeas. May also sub sausage for ground steak.
- I opted for Frontier Organic Adobo seasoning.
- For a thicker stew-like consistency you can make a “slurry”:
- Start with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch in a small bowl. Add an equal amount of cold water and stir until smooth paste forms. Add in at Step #5.
Approximately 275 calories per serving
Calories may vary depending on the brand of ingredients, serving size and substitutions.
Low Carb, Dairy Free, Gluten Free