- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- *1 pound lean ground meat of choice
- 1 (15 oz.) can fire roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 cups bone broth or chicken broth
- *8 oz. Banza chickpea shells
- 1-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- garnish - green onions or chives
- *substitutions listed below
- large pot
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and bell pepper and cook until tender.
- Add minced garlic and stir until fragrant ~ 1 minute.
- Add ground meat and cook until no longer pink ~ 5 to 6 minutes. If using a higher % of fat, drain excess fat using a colander. If using beans, cook for the same amount of time.
- Return pot to heat and add diced tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, oregano, broth, and pasta and bring to a simmer. Simmer until pasta is cooked to your liking ~ 10-15 minutes. The texture of Chickpea pasta will be denser than regular white pasta.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheddar until just melted. Top with green onions and enjoy!
Lean Ground Meat: organic turkey, grass fed beef or organic chicken
Vegan alternative: add black or white beans in lieu of ground meat.
Approximate 322 calories per serving (using 93/7 ground turkey)
5 grams of fiber per serving