- *1.5 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, diced in 1/2" pieces
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (homemade recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 leaves Romaine lettuce, rinsed
- toppings of choice: tomatoes, onion, and avocado
- sauce: 1/4 cup sour cream, juice of 1/2 lime, pinch of salt
- *substitutions below
- non-stick skillet or grill
- mixing bowl
To save time, do step #1 the night before:
- Add the diced chicken, taco seasoning, garlic, and olive oil in a large bowl or zip-seal bag. Mix well then place in fridge and let marinate for at least 15-30 minutes or leave overnight. You don’t have to pre-dice but it will speed up the cooking process. For grill users – keep chicken whole.
- Turn grill or skillet to medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade (discard marinade) and add to the grill/skillet. Let the chicken cook for ~ 6 to 8 minutes each side until it is no longer pink (or until it has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F).
- Lime cream sauce: combine 1/4 cup sour cream, juice of 1/2 lime and a pinch of salt. Mix well.
- Layer lettuce wraps with chicken and toppings of choice: tomatoes, onion, and avocado. Drizzle with the lime cream sauce or your favorite taco sauce.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 4 T chili powder
- 2 T cumin
- 1 T smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
Substitutions and recommendations
- To save even more time, opt for rotisserie chicken instead. De-bone and remove excess skin.
- If it’s a training day or need something heartier, sub lettuce leaves for gluten-free tortillas.
- Dairy-free option: try lactose-free sour cream such as Green Valley, available at most local grocery stores.
Approximately 235 calories (2 tacos using chicken thighs)
Calories may vary depending on the brand of ingredients, substitutions and serving size.
Keto, Low Carb, Paleo optional