- ~ 3 cups organic rotisserie chicken, de-boned and chopped (sub for 16 ounces cooked chicken breast)
- 1 cup organic quinoa, measured dry
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups organic crush tomatoes with basil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup canned light coconut milk (reduced fat)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper - optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 8 oz. BelGioioso fresh mozzarella pearls (or slices), divided
- 1 cup organic grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 medium or large sauce pan
- large mixing bowl
- 9 x 13 glass baking/casserole dish
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Quinoa: Rinse and soak for about 10 minutes in warm water. In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of chicken broth to a boil, drain quinoa and add to boiling broth. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer, cooking for about 12 to 15 minutes. Turn heat off and allow quinoa to sit for 5 minutes. Lightly fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Sauce: In your 2nd saucepan, combine the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and balsamic vinegar in a saucepan and bring to medium heat until it starts to simmer. Add the coconut milk, crushed red pepper and salt/pepper and continue cooking a few more minutes until heated through. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Casserole: In a large bowl combine the chopped chicken, cooked quinoa, parmesan cheese and 4 ounces mozzarella cheese. If you are using the mozzarella pearls, you can cut them in half and the same goes for the slices. Then add sauce to casserole mixture and mix until well combined.
- Pour casserole mixture into a prepared 9×13 baking dish and top with the remaining mozzarella cheese and sliced tomatoes.
- Bake in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through. I finished mine on Broil for 2-3 minutes (optional). Top with fresh basil, serve and enjoy!
Notes for Dairy Free Version –
Subs for Mozzarella:
- So Delicious Dairy Free Shreds
- I found these shreds at our local Tampa Sprouts and Whole Foods.
Subs for Parmesan:
- Follow Your Heart Dairy Free Parmesan
- GO Veggie! Soy and Dairy Free Parmesan
- I found these both at my local Publix, but they are also available at Sprouts and Whole Foods.
Approximately 315 calories per serving.
Calories and macros will vary based brands of ingredients, substitutions and serving size.
Customizable to Gluten Free & Dairy Free Lifestyles.