- *1 pound boneless chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 (16-ounce) jar red or green enchilada sauce
- *8 corn tortillas
- *12 ounces Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- toppings: cilantro, sour cream
- *substitutions provided below
- 9" x 12" casserole or baking dish
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Pour 1/3 enchilada sauce at base of the casserole dish. Spread evenly. Layer the 1st 4 tortillas. Add 1/2 of the cooked chicken. Top with 1/3 of the shredded cheese.
- Pour the next 1/3 of enchilada sauce. Layer the last 4 tortillas. Add the remaining cooked chicken. Top with next 1/3 of shredded cheese. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce. Add the remaining cheese. Top with green chiles.
- Serve with fresh cilantro and sour cream.
- To save time you can purchase a rotisserie chicken and shred. INSTANT POT SHREDDED CHICKEN: if you don’t have pre-cooked and shredded chicken available, you can cook 1.5-2 pounds of chicken in the Instant Pot with 1 cup broth, on high pressure, for 10 minutes. Then shred or dice with a knife.
- Vegan alternatives for chicken include jackfruit, black beans or lentils.
- Regular Mexican shredded cheese can be swapped for a dairy-free alternative.
- A grain-free alternative to corn tortillas is Siete cassava flour or chickpea flour tortillas.
Approximately 317 calories per serving (toppings not included)
Calories may vary depending on the brand of ingredients, substitutions and serving size.
Calories calculated via MyFitnessPal.