- 6 organic chicken thighs & 6 organic chicken drumsticks - fully defrosted, pat dry
- 1 cup organic BBQ sauce, divided - (choose the one with the least amount of sugar & about 25 cals per tbsp) - I used Trader's Joes Organic Brown Sugar BBQ Marinade
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch, gluten free corn starch or tapioca starch
- 1 tbsp red chili pepper flakes - for a kick of heat
- 6 to 8 qt. slow cooker
- crockpot liner (optional)
- mixing bowl
- whisk or spoon
- paper towel
- In your mixing bowl, combine the bbq sauce and arrowroot starch (add pepper flakes here). Mix until until well combined.
- Pour half of this mixture on to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add all of the chicken and then top with the remaining sauce. I used a spoon to make sure each piece was covered in sauce.
- Cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2 hours. I prefer low and slow!
- Once the chicken is ready, you will find that a lot of the sauce has thinned out and is watery. So feel free to toss the cooked sauce and add a bit more of the original bbq sauce upon serving.
- Pair your BBQ chicken your favorite light and bright veggies or salad. I chose a broccoli slaw because you can dress it up with a condiment of your choice! Try using Primal Kitchen Avocado Mayo and a tsp of rice wine vinegar! 10% off Primal Kitchen Mayo with this code: singlemayo
Approximately 310 calories (~1.5 palm protein, 1/2 fist & 2 thumbs fat)
*Calories will vary depending on brands of ingredients and if you make any substitutions.
In this case, calories reflected may be higher considering the bbq sauce thins out and may be discarded.