- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 pound ground meat of choice
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 2 medium potatoes, peel and diced (~ 1.5 cups)
- 1/2 cup low sodium pasta sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes - optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup spinach leaves, finely chopped - optional
- 2 large organic bell peppers, halved and de-seeded
- for serving - feta cheese, parsley
- 1 or 2 large non-stick skillets
- 1 baking dish
- wooden spoon
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a non-stick skillet, heat avocado oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute until fragrant (2-3 minutes).
- Add the ground meat. With a wooden spoon, stir and break apart the meat for about 10 minutes until it t is no longer pink. Drain the excess liquid if necessary.
- Add the diced onions and cook for another 5-6 minutes (until onions are soft or semi-translucent).
To save time: In a second non-stick skillet, heat avocado oil over medium-high heat. Add the diced sweet potato cook until they are tender (8-10 minutes). Proceed to step 6 after adding the cooked sweet potatoes back into the ground meat skillet. If you don’t want to use another pan, then skip this step and go to next step.
- Add the sweet potato, cover the skillet and cook until they are tender (about 8 minutes).
- Add pasta sauce, chili powder, oregano, pepper flakes, salt and spinach (optional). Mix well and set aside.
- Arrange the peppers in a baking dish. The cavity side is facing up.
- Fill each bell pepper halve with the ground turkey-sweet potato mix – pack it in!
- Bake uncovered for about 15-20 minutes, or until the peppers are cooked to your liking.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with feta and parsley. For paleo and vegan version – omit Feta.
- If you are cooking only for yourself, make this meal ahead and store in the freezer in BPA-free airtight containers.
- For the remaining uncooked meat – sauté with avocado oil, spices of your choice, salt and pepper. Use for salad topper.
- I used organic ground chicken (8% fat). You can swap for ground turkey, ground bison or sausage.
- For vegans, swap ground meat for this soy-free beefy crumble option!
- To pack in some more veggies, throw in a cup of cooked cauliflower rice! No one will ever know 😉
Approximately 265 calories per half stuffed bell pepper.
~1 palm protein, 1 fist carbs, 1 thumb fat
Calories may vary depending on brands of ingredients, substitutions and serving size.
Approved for Gluten Free, Grain Free & Paleo Lifestyles.