- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or ghee
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 2 pounds ground meat of choice (I used a combination of 90/10 grassfed beef and organic ground pork)
- 1 cup white mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoon diced green chiles (sub for 1 de-seeded & diced jalapeño diced)
- 1 large whole egg
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin + 1/4 teaspoon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 avocado
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup water (more to adjust the consistency of the dressing)
- 1/2 lime
- for serving - Siete almond flour tortillas OR lettuce wraps
- 1 saute pan or non-stick skillet
- small bowl
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 large rimmed baking sheet
- food processor or immersion blender
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat the avocado oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onions. Cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Transfer the onions to a small bowl and set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the ground meat, mushrooms, green chiles, egg, salt, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, chipotle chili powder and pepper. When the onion mixture has cooled down, add it to this same bowl. Work everything together with your hands (it’s the best way to get everything well combined).
- Form the meat mixture into 2-inch balls (they can be larger). Place them on the rimmed baking sheet with space in between.
- Bake for 30 minutes (until cooked through) and then you have the option to turn the oven to Broil (about 2-3 minutes) to get a nice sear. Remove the meatballs from the oven and allow to cool before serving.
Note – If you have picky eaters that you know won’t like the “Paleo” version, then go ahead and add some cheese! 2 cups organic cheddar or mozzarella are great choices.
Option to use a food processor or immersion blender: Pit and peel the avocado, add the olive oil, fresh lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon cumin, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Pulse/puree until smooth. Pour the dressing over the meatballs.
*Refrigerate avocado dressing in an air-tight container or jar for up to 3 days.
Serve the meatballs on a bed of mixed greens and Siete almond flour tortillas!
Approximately 305 calories per serving with dressing (tortillas not included).
~ 1 palm protein, 3 thumbs fat
Calories may vary depending on brands of ingredients, substitutions and serving size.
Approved for Gluten Free, Ketogenic, Paleo and Dairy Free Lifestyles.