- 1 lb. all natural ground chicken (~92% lean)
- 1 large free range egg
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 1/4 cup Nutritional yeast or sub for 1/4 cup shredded cheese of choice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian blend seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan sea salt & 1/4 tsp pepper
- organic olive oil spray
- 3/4 cup marinara or pasta sauce (no sugar added)
- Topping options: spinach leaves, whole egg, red onions, green onions, jalapeños, cheese, avocado, BBQ sauce
- medium mixing bowl
- cast iron skillet
- Preheat oven to 400F and coat the cast iron skillet with olive oil spray.
- Make the crust – Combine ground chicken, egg, almond flour, nutritional yeast, garlic powder and seasonings. Mix well.
- Add the crust to the coated skillet with a spatula. Then dab your fingers with a bit of water and flatten out the crust in the skillet. This will prevent the meat mixture from sticking to your fingers! Press the mixture evenly into the skillet.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Note – if you are using ground chicken BREAST, you will only need to cook for 15-16 minutes since it is a leaner cut.
- Remove the crust from the oven and begin to add your toppings. Add the marinara first, then proceed to add your veggies of choice. I added an egg to the center of my pie.
- Return the crust to the oven and bake for another 6-8 minutes until veggies (toppings) have softened and egg white has set. Option to turn the heat to BROIL (2 min) if added cheese as a topping.
- Remove from the oven and top with more marinara, avocados or BBQ sauce! ENJOY!
*Meat – I used Perdue Harvestland Ground Chicken – the label should read as 180 calories per serving if you choose to use another brand.
*Flour – You can substitute the almond flour with coconut flour.
*Dairy-free alternative – I used this Nutritional Yeast – You can normally find this in the baking section at your local market. And if you have never used these flakes before, let’s just say it’s like Parmesan without being Parmesan!
*Sauce – When choosing pasta or marinara sauce, look for a brand that has fewer than 6 ingredients, lower sodium and no sugar added. I love using Gia Russa Low Sodium Tomato & Basil sauce.
Rest Day – serve with avocado as your topping
Training Day – serve with a giant leafy green salad
Approximately 280 calories per slice
~ 1 palm protein, 1/4 fist carbs, 2 thumbs fat
Calories may vary depending on brands of ingredients and substitutions.
Approved for Dairy Free, Ketogenic & Gluten Free, Paleo & Whole 30 lifestyles.