- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 4)
- 1 (15-ounce) can organic crushed tomatoes, drained
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/4 kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 ounces Banza chickpea pasta
- for serving - freshly grated parmesan or nutritional yeast
- for serving - fresh parsley
- Instant Pot, Pressure Cooker or Slow Cooker
- Season chicken with salt and pepper on both side.
- Set Intant Pot on “sauté” setting. Add 1 tablespoon avocado oil and then brown chicken thighs for a few minutes on each side. You may have to pack them in. Set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon avocado oil to IP. Add the diced bell pepper and onion and sauté for a few minutes until just softened.
- Then add the spinach, browned chicken thighs, crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Give the sauce a quick stir and top with a bay leaf.
- Cover, seal and set IP to high pressure/manual for 24 minutes; manual release.
- Prepare the pasta according to the directions on box.
- When chicken is ready, remove the bay leaf and garnish with parmesan/nutritional yeast and parsley.
Training day: Serve with Banza chickpea pasta or roasted spaghetti squash
Rest day: Serve with zucchini noodles
Slow Cooker Option –
- Season chicken with salt and black pepper and place in the slow cooker.
- Pour crushed tomatoes over the chicken, top with spinach, diced peppers and onions, add Italian seasoning, bay leaf, salt and pepper, give it a quick stir and cover.
- Set crock pot to Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
- When ready, remove lid and keep the crock pot on High for one hour to help the sauce thicken.
Tip: When using your slow cooker, (if you have the time) brown the meat and vegetables in a skillet FIRST for deeper flavors and a thicker sauce. Liquids will not evaporate in the slow cooker.
Approximately 360 calories per serving (with pasta)
~ 1 palm protein, 1 fist carbs, 2 thumbs fat
Calories may vary depending on brands of ingredients, substitutions and serving size.
Approved for Gluten Free, Paleo and Diary Free Lifestyles.