- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon + 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (sub for parmesan)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt to taste
- 3-4 tablespoons water +, as needed
- flax egg: 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal + 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup gluten free breadcrumbs or gluten free oats
- 1 tablespoon Italian blend seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- food processor
- non-stick skillet
- baking sheet
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Make pesto: add 2 cups basil, 2 tablespoons cashews, 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 3-4 tablespoons to a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Add more water if necessary and add salt to taste.
- Make flax egg: 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal and 1/4 cup water. Whisk and set aside.
- Onion mixture: Heat 1/2 tsp avocado oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until translucent.
- Chickpea mixture: Pulse 1/4 cup nuts in a food processor until a coarse meal. Then add the flax egg, onion mixture, 1 tablespoon pesto and the remaining ingredients. Pulse to combine. You can use the same food processor that you used for pesto. Transfer chickpea mixture to a bowl and chill for 10 minutes.
- Make balls of the mixture or use an ice cream scoop and place on parchment lined sheet. 1 to 1.5 inch balls (16 to 18 balls). Bake for 25 minutes or until golden. Serve with zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash!
⏰ Time-Saving Tip – Make the pesto the night before.
Approximately 200 calories (pesto sauce not included)
~1/2 palm protein, 1 fist carbs
Approximately 285 calories (with 1/3 serving pesto sauce)
~ 3/4 palm protein, 1 fist carbs, 1 thumb fat
Calories may vary depending on brand of ingredients, substitutions and serving size.
Vegan, Gluten Free, Grain Free, Dairy Free