- 1 lb. grass-fed ground meat of choice - I used 93/7 turkey
- 1/2 cup gluten free bread crumbs
- 1 large free range egg, beaten
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, washed and grated with the peel on (~ 1 cup)
- 2 tbsp fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt & 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 - 14 oz. can Whole Cranberry Sauce - (sub for homemade zesty cranberry sauce recipe)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1.5 tbsp sugar free maple syrup - (sub for pure maple or honey)
- zest of 1 orange - (omit if you used the zesty cranberry sauce recipe)
- juice of 1/2 orange - (omit if you used the zesty cranberry sauce recipe)
- medium mixing bowl
- baking sheet
- baking rack
- medium sauce pan
- cheese grater
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add ground meat, breadcrumbs, egg, grated apple, chopped sage, garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper. Time to get dirty! Using your hands, light mix and blend all of the ingredients.
- Tip for rolling meatballs: have a small bowl of water to dip your finger tips in to avoid sticky hands! Roll the turkey mixture into 1-2″ balls and place each on the lightly coated baking rack. Set your timer for 12-15 minutes and let them bake!
- As meatballs are cooking, turn your saucepan to medium heat. Add the cranberry sauce, applesauce, maple syrup, zest and orange juice. Omit the zest and OJ if you used the zesty cranberry sauce recipe. Mix until warmed through. Turn sauce to low heat/simmer and add the cooked meatballs.
- Using a spatula, gently roll and coat all of the meatballs in the sauce. You will have plenty of sauce remaining! Serve immediately over baked spaghetti squash or just eat them a la carte!
Approximately 320 calories
~1 palm protein, 2/3 fist carbs, 1 fist carbs
Calories may vary depending on brands of ingredients and substitutions.
Approved for Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Grain Free lifestyles.